The Whittier Bridge is located in Ossipee, west of Route 16 in West Ossipee Village on old NH Route 125 over the Bearcamp River. The bridge is over 132 feet long with a clear span of 114 feet. The first crude open timber bridge at this site was built in 1791. It was repaired and rebuilt several times. The construction of the current bridge was in the 1870’s. The bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1989.
Historical registration and other details
- The Whittier Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Whittier Bridge is one of fifty-eight covered bridges in the State of New Hampshire.
- 2-1/2" high X 3" wide
- Satin finish