FIFTEENTH OF A SERIES
The Thompson bridge, also known as the West Swanzey bridge, is located in the Town of Swanzey, New Hampshire and spans the Ashuelot River. Originally built in 1832 by Zadoc Taft the bridge is 136 feet 10 inches long and 25 feet 6 inches wide. The roadway is 16 feet 7 inches wide with a walkway on the south side of the bridge. The bridge was built using a two span Town Lattice Truss architecture.
NH Bridge Number & Historic Facts
New Hampshire Bridge Number 5. In 1973, when it was posted for a six ton load limit, school busses were allowed to cross the bridge, but only if empty. When a bus full of students came to the bridge, the students would get off the bus, walk across the bridge, and reboard the bus on the other side. The Swanzey Historical Museum has a collection of historical material relating to all the covered bridges in town including a scale model of the West Swanzey/Thompson Bridge. A highway committee was formed in 1990 to develop proposals for the rehabilitation of the town's covered bridges. The Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Additional details and specifications:
- 3" wide x 2 1/2" high
- Detailed on both sides
- Includes a ribbon to hang the ornament
- Also includes a romance card that contains a description of the ornament