The Swift River Bridge is located one-half mile North of Route 16 at Conway Village over the Swift River. The first bridge was built in 1869 and was washed away in the flood of 1869. This is the second bridge on the site. It is 129 feet long. The Swift River Bridge is one of fifty-eight covered bridges in the State of New Hampshire
NH Bridge Number & Historic Facts
New Hampshire Bridge Number 47.The first bridge gave much needed access to the north using West Side Road and served local commerce well until the spring of 1869. At that time, heavy rains swelled the river and the raging waters lifted the bridge from its foundation, turned it around, and sent it rapidly downstream into the Saco River Covered Bridge knocking it off its moorings. Both damaged structures broke up and came to rest two miles downstream. In a striking demonstration of Yankee thrift, much of the lumber salvaged from these two bridges was used in the building of the new Swift River Covered Bridge constructed by Jacob Berry and his son Jacob Jr. The current bridge was bypassed when a new concrete and steel bridge was built nearby in 1974. The Swift River Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
Additional details and specifications:
- 3" wide x 2 1/2" high
- Detailed on both sides
- Includes a ribbon to hang the ornament
- Also includes a romance card that contains a description of the ornament