The Stark Covered bridge is located in the Town of Stark, New Hampshire and spans the Upper Ammonoosuc River. The bridge is 134'1" long with two clear spans of 61'5". It has an overall width of 29'6" with a roadway width of 16'2", and a maximum vertical clearance of 11'9". It has covered sidewalks on each side. The current structure was built in 1862 with many refurbishes. The site is scenic and a popular location for photographers, artists & bridge enthusiasts.
NH Bridge Number & Historic Facts
New Hampshire Bridge Number 37.The bridge was originally a simple Paddleford truss with a center pier. During the 1890's, high water removed the center pier and the bridge was washed downstream. It was brought back by men and oxen and set on new stone piers. Arches were added to strengthen the span and the center pier was removed. The bridge failed again in the 1940's and in 1954 was rehabilitated by removing the arch, adding steel, and building a center pier. During the 1950's, the people of Stark voted to replace the bridge with a new steel bridge. The outcry from artists and covered bridge enthusiasts was so great that instead, with the aid of the state, the covered ridge was restored. The Stark Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Additional details and specifications:
- 3" wide x 2 1/2" high
- Detailed on both sides
- Includes a ribbon to hang ornament
- Also includes a romance card that contains a description of the ornament