Guilford, CT – Soldier’s Monument
In the heart of Guilford, Connecticut, is the Guilford Town Green. At the center of the green, stands a two-toned monument of pink and gray granite honoring Civil War veterans. The monument was sculpted by John Beattie and James Goodwin Patterson was the designer. The structure features an infantryman standing with a rifle in his hands. The soldier is wearing a moustache, cap, knee length coat with a kit on his right side, and a cape. The base of the monument is locally quarried pink granite and was dedicated in 1877. A decade later, the soldier was made of grey granite supplied by a Massachusetts company.
On the front of the Guilford monument reads: “In memory of the men of Guilford who fell and in honor of those who served in the war for the Union, the grateful town erects this monument, that their example may speak to coming generations.” The south side of the monument lists the Battle of Antietam and the names of 14 residents killed in the war. The east face lists Gettysburg and an additional 14 names. The west side lists Port Royal (SC) and 14 names. The first name listed is Douglas Fowler, a Guilford local who was commanding the 17th Connecticut Volunteer Regiment when he was killed on the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1, 1863).
The Guilford Town Green not only honors soldiers of the Civil War, but has a boulder dedicated to WWI as well as a WWII monument. The Vietnam war sacrifice of three residents is honored by a 1984 monument on the northwest corner of the green. Additionally there is a tree dedicated to the victims of 9/11 as well as a Firefighters monument.
For information on custom ornaments please visit https://www.hampshirepewter.com/custom-made-pewter-corporate-gifts.