The Flume Bridge is located in Lincoln over the Pemigewasset River at the junction of N.H. Route 175 and U.S. Route 3. The bridge was believed to have been built in 1871 when the Lincoln Turnpike Company obtained the right to build the road from the main highway, U.S. Route 3, to a point near the foot of the Flume. Others believe it was built elsewhere and moved to this spot. It is 50 feet long. The Flume Bridge is one of fifty-eight covered bridges in the State of New Hampshire.
NH Bridge Number & Historic Facts
New Hampshire Bridge Number 39. It was originally covered with half-inch boards cut in about 30-inch lengths and put on like shingles. These were called shakes and served until a new covering was needed to stop leaks. Modern shingles replaced these shakes in 1951. The bridge is used by buses bringing visitors to the Flume and maintenance vehicles. The Flume Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
Additional details and specifications:
- 3" wide x 2 1/2" high
- Detailed on both sides
- Includes a ribbon to hang the ornament
- Also includes a romance card that contains a description of the ornament