THIRD OF A SERIES
The Durgin Bridge is located in Sandwich, one and one-half miles north of NH Route 113, two miles east of North Sandwich Village on Durgin Road spanning the Cold River. It is 96 feet long with a clear span of 72 feet. The current bridge is the fourth one on this site, the others being washed away in 1844, 1865, and 1869. The bridge was a link in the underground slave railroad from Sandwich to North Conway. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Durgin Bridge is one of fifty-eight covered bridges in the State of New Hampshire.
NH Bridge Number & Historic Facts
New Hampshire Bridge Number 45. The first bridge constructed at this site was built to replace the ford, located nearly a quarter mile upstream. The ford carried the heavy traffic of bygone days across the river. the freshet was so violent that iron bolts used to connect the great bed pieces of the middle pier to a large rock were twisted and broken. The iron bolts were two inches in diameter. The existing bridge was built by Jacob Berry of North Conway. Berry claimed that the bridge was so strong that it could be filled with wood without causing it to fail. There is no evidence that anyone ever attempted to prove his theory. The bridge is named for James Holmes Durgin who ran a grist mill nearby. The Durgin Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places
Additional details and specifications:
- Detailed on both sides
- Includes a ribbon to hang the ornament
- Also includes a romance card that contains a description of the ornament