Central Fire Station | Dover, NH
Dover, New Hampshire – Fire Station 

Central Station serves as home to a Frontline Engine, a reserve Engine, and a reserve Ambulance. It is staffed at all times by a Lieutenant and two firefighters. It was built in 1899 and served as headquarters for more than 100 years. 

Dover, New Hampshire is the oldest settlement in New Hampshire and the seventh oldest in the United States, established in 1623 by William and Edward Hilton. For a brief time Dover was an independent colony named Northam. In 1692, Northam became part of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The original township of Dover included Durham, Madbury, Lee, Somersworth, Rollinsford, and parts of Newington, Newmarket, and Greenland. Dover had a thriving shipbuilding industry in the 1700s and by the early to mid-1800s the city became one of the leading cotton manufacturers in the US. This was all due to Dover’s geographic advantage being located on the Bellamy and Cocheco Rivers. Dover later grew to develop strong brick and shoe industries. Dover is continuously developing economically today and this is evident when visiting Dover’s quaint yet bustling downtown and Cocheco Falls Millworks area.