The Corbin Covered bridge is located in the Town of Newport, New Hampshire and spans the Sugar River. The bridge is 96'2" long with a clear span of 80'. It has an overall width of 17'11" with a roadway width of 14'3", and a maximum vertical clearance of 12'3". The current structure was built in 1994 to replace the original which was built in 1835 and was destroyed by arson in 1993.
NH Bridge Number & Historic Facts
New Hampshire Bridge Number 17. The state suggested closing the bridge in May 1979, but the town reduced the posted weight limit from six to three tons. It was rehabilitated by the state in 1980 at a cost of $43,000. The project was funded, in part, with a federal Historic Preservation Fund matching grant from the National Park Service of the U.S. Department of the Interior through the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. The bridge was then reposted for a six ton limit. The bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 but was removed when destroyed by fire.
Additional details and specifications:
- 3" wide x 2 1/2" high
- Detailed on both sides
- Includes a ribbon to hang the ornament
- Also includes a romance card that contains a description of the ornament